5/10, 6pm: Boulder City Council to discuss target of 100% clean electricity by 2030

City Council Study Session
6 pm
Tuesday, May 10th
Boulder Municipal Building

Boulder city council will take up the question on the evening of May 10th: “does council agree the city should set a goal of 100 percent renewable electricity by 2030?” This rapid shift to renewable electricity would be met through a series of aggressive proposed interim targets, including 50 percent renewable electricity by 2020.

The council memo (packet pages 26-55 of the council memo) notes that “these goals should be considered independently of the effort to create a municipal electrical utility. A municipal utility is a means to this end because it allows the city to control its energy source.” Electricity from Xcel is currently only 22% renewable. The City would have 14 years to transition make up the other 78% (currently 52% coal and 26% natural gas).

Although you can’t give public comments at the study session, please join others in showing their support by wearing green to the meeting and by emailing a short personalized email to council@bouldercolorado.gov to tell the council that you support 100% clean electricity by 2030.

Leave a Reply