Author, entrepreneur, Stanford educator, international thought leader on disruptive change in energy systems, and recipient of the Clean Energy Action 2017 Sunshine Award:
Tell our elected officials that the environment matters! April 29th, 2017 is the 100th day of President Donald Trump’s administration. Clean Energy Action is marking the day by joining with the People’s Climate of Colorado and countless other groups in a huge demonstration to highlight our recognition that climate change is real, that it impacts all of us, and that we are committed to solving it.
The PCM in Denver, along with other sister city marches, is happening simultaneously to the People’s Climate March in Washington. Like the Women’s March, the PCM will be a national show of resistance, resolve, and unity.
There are many ways to show your support for our planet:
- Planning to attend? RSVP on Facebook, sign up on Action Network, and tell your friends and family.
- Want to get more involved? Take this survey in order to register to be trained as an PCM Marshal, or check out these planning meetings in Denver and Boulder, and help us make sure the event is a great success!
- The Climate March also needs financial support. Make a donation or purchase one of these awesome T-shirts, and put your dollars to work in defense of our environment.
- You can also be a #climatehero and help spread the word on Facebook and twitter: #peoplesclimatemarch #denverclimatemarch
Hope to see you there!
The effort to decarbonize Colorado’s largest electricity supplier, Xcel Energy, advanced in Denver last month as Coloradans lined up to speak at the Colorado Public Utilities Commission hearing on Xcel’s 2016 Electric Resource Plan. Members of CEA led Coloradans from all walks of life in voicing their concerns about Colorado’s electricity future.
The hearing room at the Public Utilities Commission was overflowing as the people of Colorado addressed the three PUC Commissioners. They expressed a host of concerns about Xcel’s plan, and asked for more focus on the abundance of cost-effective renewable energy available in Colorado, in accordance with Colorado’s laws and regulations.
Issues raised during the public testimony included the need to:
- Consider climate change and the urgency of reducing carbon emissions
- Increase the reliance on renewable energy in order to reduce both emissions and costs
- Accelerate the adoption of storage technologies to support the integration of higher levels of renewable energy
- Begin contingency planning in the event of future coal bankruptcies and potential coal supply constraints
- Allow new, cleaner resources to replace energy generation from older, dirtier, more expensive fossil fuel resources
Citizen witnesses also discussed the need to analyze the choices between renewable energy (with no future fuel costs) and fossil fuel resources (with billions of dollars of future fuel costs) using lower discount rates. A lower discount rate will show increased savings from cost-effective renewable energy because future fuel costs won’t be so heavily discounted.
More details on Xcel’s Electric Resource Plan and the key issues, including the importance of the choice of discount rate, are available in the public comment filing made by Clean Energy Action Board member Leslie Glustrom.
CEA is grateful that the new appointees to the Colorado PUC , Chairperson Jeff Ackerman and Commissioner Wendy Moser, along with Commissioner Frances Koncilja, are dedicated to hearing from the public and that the public is well enough informed to provide useful and compelling testimony!
You can also check out Christi Turner’s comprehensive article in Boulder Weekly and learn more about this important step froward in the fight for cheaper, cleaner power.
Save the date!
Solar Power Colorado 2017
The nations’ largest regional solar conference
Sponsored by: COSEIA
When: March 13-17, 2017
Where: The Omni Hotel and Conference Center in Broomfield, Colorado
The Colorado Solar Energy Industries Association has been leading the state’s dynamic solar industry for 27 years. Over that time we have experienced massive success, unprecedented growth and had much cause to celebrate.
More information and conference schedule coming soon!